Experimental Swipe Painting with Leftover Scraps

I’m going to try to record my painting experiments, but it is so boring to me to write about them. This is a record of the last thing I did yesterday evening with just the scrapings of paint that I had left mixed up in the pots. I scraped them out on to a canvas that has lots of layers of paint on it already. My thinking was I didn’t like it and maybe I could do something interesting with these scraps on the worst part. And I just hate to waste the paint. The surface underneath didn’t have any silicone used.

The two parts don’t fit together as a picture, so I have just photographed the new bit and will write about that. I’m nt trying for a finished picture but to understand how use the paints and what I can do with them.

copyright Karen Cropper

Swiped section pretty much dry. Photographed in daylight. Cracking in yellow/green areas only.

The paints were mixed in clean plastic yoghurt pots. All were Windsor and Newton Galeria Acrylics from 60ml tubes, but some very old and some new. They were mixed with Liquitex pouring medium and water. These were the colours:

  • Crimson Series 1 (new)
  • Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue Permanence A (old)
  • Permanent Green Middle Permanence A (old)
  • Phthalo Green Permanence A (old)
  • Windsor Blue Permanence A (old)
  • Mixing White Series 1 (new)
  • Gold Windsor and Newton Finity Series 3 (old)
copyright Karen Cropper

Detail: (Dry) I like how the thin blue over white has a transparency that makes it look turquoise. There is a bit that dripped from the swipe card.

The paints started out mixed with just pouring medium and only a tiny bit of water, but I think they were too thick and the first painting I made with them, which was a dirty mix poured in trails, cracked when it dried.

They then sat for 2 days with cling film over the top. I added more water so they were thinner and then a few drops of silicone oil to all the of them except white. I tried a swipe picture on watercolour paper with the bulk of what was left and will try to write about that later (it isn’t dry yet).

Detail: (Dry) I like the pattern detail but can you see the cracks in the yellow/green areas in the bottom portion? I think those two tubes of paint are no good for this technique.

The colours were laid on in a kind of rainbow stripe with white at the top and bottom. Then swiped over with a narrow piece of firm card from the cat food box.

copyright Karen Cropper

Wet paint before swipe. Swiped from bottom to top of this image and that was the way I was looking at it. Colours not accurate. There is a band of dark green in what just looks dark blue.

Over all the paint mostly behaved well except still a bit of cracking in the yellow/green area and I now think it is that paint that is the problem. I think those two colours are not going to work with this technique. They may be OK brushed on. I have used them like that in another painting and cannot see any problem with it.

copyright Karen Cropper

Wet paint immediately after swipe. Nice cells appeared but then grew more. This is rotated 90 degrees compared to previous picture. Colours not accurate.

I have been having a lot of problems photographing the pieces when then have just been made and are wet, because of the light. On auto settings the camera is making the images very yellow because in artificial light. I know there are perhaps settings that I can change to get slightly better but when you are in a rush with trying to do the painting and photograph at the same time you just want to point and click. But I have now had a good look at the camera and there is an auto mode that you can change the colour balance and select for tungsten light, so I will try that next time.

copyright Karen Cropper

Detail: (Wet) A closer look at the early cells.

This is what the canvas looked like before I poured the scraps on.

copyright Karen Cropper

75 Total Views 1 Views Today

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *