Record of progress: Day 1
The course I am studying is “The Complete Web Developer Course – Build 14 Websites” on www.udemy.com. I’ve never done a course on udemy before or even heard of it. I succumbed to an advert on facebook that had clearly picked up some of my queries lately and targeted me. So maybe I was a duped? Or maybe it was the first bit of advertising that has correctly targeted me with something I actually want to buy, as in this case it was just up my street.
I was already looking for a way to teach myself some stuff online. I have already done lots of other courses delivered online, which includes some Open University courses that I have paid for myself and that I had free as a member of staff, and some MOOCs through futurelearn and coursera.
As a quick summary this is my level of knowledge in each of the main section headings covered by the course:
- HTML – have a pretty good idea of coding with HTML don’t really know how HTML5 differs from what I learnt way back
- CSS – have an understanding of what CSS is but not confident in using it to its full capacity
- jQuery – have heard of it but don’t know what is really is
- Twitter Boostrap – never heard of it, no idea what it does
- WordPress – have done a lot of things on WordPress but mostly on wordpress.com sites, wanting to confidently move to self hosting and fill in gaps in my knowledge.
- PHP – have a fair idea of this, covered in Open University course but a long time ago so need refreshing and things may have changed
- MySQL – have a fair idea of this, covered in Open University course but a long time ago so need refreshing and things may have changed
- APIs – know what they are but not really sure how to use them
- Mobile Apps – use them a lot, no idea how to make them but would like to. Found a tutorial on Android apps, downloaded Android Studio and some other things to make it work. Had no idea how to make sense of it. Decided I needed to learn some other things first.
I started the course on Monday 16 March 2015. On that day I went through Lectures 1 to 30 in the Intro and HTML section. This was mostly revision for me and also introduced me into the way the course is taught and finding my way round. It also covers using the included web hosting package.